Thursday, April 16, 2009

You are beautiful just the way you are.

I recently went with a friend to her breast augmentation consultation. She has lost lots of weight over the past couple of years and in the process she lost a big portion of her breast size and firmness. So, she has made the decision to "buy her self image back" as she put it.

While we were at the doctor's office, there were several brochures and medical magazines on different procedures that were available. One magazine called for a "mommy makeover". It had a checklist of various items ranging from belly firmness to breast floppiness. If you checked one or more box then you were instructed to see the corresponding surgeries that would make you look beautiful again.

I was appalled by that article and survey. I am a young woman with three small children. I often have days where I lament the loss of my pre-baby body. I look at my breasts and wish they were perky again and I didn't have that "mommy apron" belly. But you know what? I GREW humans! I made life three times in my belly. I have love scars not "war wounds". I am proud of every stretch mark. My husband cherishes my fleshy hips and thicker thighs because he knows I'm eating well and nourishing his children while I'm pregnant and then while I'm nursing. I am a woman and I am a mother and I wouldn't change that for anything. I've learned to dress a little different and use some more drastic tricks to reshape or hold in various jiggly bits, but I'd rather buy less revealing clothes than have a major surgery that takes away my memories of carrying my children.

My friend feels she needs this surgery to make her feel like a woman again, and that's okay. I don't judge anyone for feeling that they need to have a procedure to make them feel attractive. You need to be happy with yourself and if cosmetic surgery makes you happy then go for it. My issue is doctors trying to make me feel ugly for having children. I was not one of the women who bounced back and lost all the weight and extra skin in three months. My daughter is 10 months old and I'm still a little bigger than I'd like to be, but I know that those extra pounds cushioned my baby in utero. I feel that my stretch marks are a road map of growth. I know which ones are from which pregnancy and I remember what months I got them in those pregnancies. They're badges of honor and I'm proud to carry them.

1 comment:

  1. I would like you to know about my "art action" entitled "BEAUTIFUL Just The Way You Are", a protest against the objectification of girls and women. Please see www.bjtwya.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete