Friday, April 10, 2009

Yay! Spring is in the air!

I recently went to the grocery store and came home with a bounty of vegetables and fruits. Everything is becoming in season and everything is super cheap! Yae! We got cantaloupe, all kinds of berries, bell peppers, even artichokes for super cheap. Artichokes are one of my favorite vegetables, but they're normally very expensive so we aren't able to buy them fresh on a normal basis. Having freshly steamed whole artichokes was a special treat!

I highly recommend growing veggies and fruits in your garden like Rachel does, but if you've got a killer thumb (like me), then the grocery is the next best place. The Farmer's Market in Dallas should be filling up with lots of yummy goods right now also and they are usually inexpensive and it's a fun experience. I find that stores like Sprouts, Natural Grocer, and Whole Foods have great produce for a fair price and good selection.

I love springtime and all it's bounty. I get to cook with fresher ingredients and our menu is so varied according to what's in season. I like to ask my 4 year old what color he wants to eat today and we buy our veggies accordingly. He has fun and feels more involved in our menu planning. Don't forget to start going outside to grill. Get vitamin D from the sun and save some electricity!

No comments:

Post a Comment