Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spring cleaning

I just got done cleaning out our rental house and I was appalled by all the chemicals I used. Everything smelled like chemicals and even though everything was technically clean, I felt like we couldn't put food or things like that on the counters because then all of the chemicals would get on them.

I decided to look into greener ways to clean. We buy some green cleaning products, but I thought surely there has to be more natural ways to clean that are not harmful to us or the earth. After scouring the Internet I found the solution! Vinegar to the rescue! I found that you can add some lemon juice or essential oils to the vinegar solution to make it smell better, but I actually enjoy the vinegary smell because it smells clean to me.

I used a cloth soaked with white distilled vinegar to clean the counters and polish the faucets. If you add water to the vinegar to dilute it, you can use that to clean the refrigerator, microwave, oven, and dishwasher. If you add baking soda to make a paste, then you can use that to scour and scrub messes. Plus the baking soda helps deodorize any odors that might have built up.

I found so many uses for vinegar that I felt a little stupid. You can do so much with it! I'm now committed to finding even more ways to be green. I feel like I'm learning something new all of the time!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you DARE feel stupid girlfriend! Vinegar is a wonder liquid and we use it for anything from cleaning to laundry to cooking and even as part of our diet. (Apple cider vingear that is!) It's cheap, available in bulk and I love the "no worry" factor with vinegar now that I have a little one who licks,drinks, chews on anything he can get his sweaty little hands on. Good for you for making the switch!

    ReplyDelete