Monday, September 14, 2009

Finding a New Purpose

One of my relatives sent me some quilting goodies a few weeks ago - books, patterns, fabric, rotary cutter, cutting rulers, etc. Among these items was a bag she made. In this bag were fabric and directions for making 3 more. Last week I finally hid out in my "sewing room" and played. Now I'm on a sewing kick.

I looked through my fabric stash to see what I might find. This stash includes a bag of clothes that my post-baby body will never fit in again that I kept because I liked the fabric. I have 2 wrap skirts begging to be reincarnated as quilts or bags. I found a skirt that I transformed into a purse (I had already altered it from a jumper to a skirt). I've got enough fabric left to make another purse.

I have plans to convert a denim maternity dress and red and white checked shirt into a dress for Olivia. I browsed the internet the other day in search of a pattern to make a dress I can just slip over her head. I didn't find what I had in mind, but I came across a great tutorial for making a toddler dress from an adult button-up shirt. I swung by Goodwill today and picked up a shirt just to try this because I thought it was so cute.











Another thing I'd like to do is sew a toddler dress from a pillowcase. That is, if I had an extra pillowcase that was pretty. My extra pillowcases are just plain white. But you can use some fabric cut the size of a pillowcase as a starting point.

So many things to do, so little time!

3 comments:

  1. Wow those are all so cute!!! Olivia looks adorable <3 I've been toying around with my sewing machine as well lately, making a crayon holder (failure *sigh* Note: Don't let children bump your arms when trying to make straight lines!) and an adorable makeup pouch that turned out really nicely! Now I'm going to have to make the ones you posted as well =D So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I didn't have to sleep! I would get so much accomplished in way of sewing & beading. Great job on the repurposing! I've just made K a pillowcase dress that turned out adorable. I was amazed that I can read instructions & actually figure out how to sew it. Now...if I can just find a money tree, I can someday buy a serger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy!

    Sara, I know what you mean. I LOVE sleep and need more than I get, but I could do a lot more if I stayed up all night. Let me know when you find a money tree because I definitely want one of those!

    ReplyDelete